Saturday, February 3, 2018

Lake Ridge / Woodbridge Brewery Update 2018 – Part 1


It’s a new year and one thing is a constant in the Universe, things change as time marches on.  This is also true for the local breweries here in the Lake Ridge / Woodbridge area and some of these changes are good and some are just… well… sad.  So, lets get into it!!

HEROIC ALEWORKS

As 2017 was coming to a close the announcement went out that Heroic Aleworks would be shutting down on Dec. 15.  A lot of people were surprised… WHY? they asked.  There were and still a lot of rumors about investors pulling out, people misled, bad location, etc., but there has been no official statement from Heroic on why.

So, Heroic was geared up to shut down on the 15th ; their master brewer had moved on to other pastures, staff was looking for new jobs and many people came by to say their goodbyes but low-and-behold a last minute stay via a post on Facebook informed people that they would stay open… for at least another month… and the crowds rejoiced.  Again… rumors began flowing about how they were staying open… new investors?  Just to get rid of inventory? Regardless, they were open and they were able to celebrate their 1yr anniversary… and there was much rejoicing (yaaaaaay!).

Alas, the joy of Heroic remaining open came to a crushing end when it was announced that they would for sure be closing on Jan 25th 2018.  I was able to visit a couple more times, enjoyed some beer that I would not get to have again, got a couple of bottles of their ‘Dark Enemy Russian Imperial Stout’ and a glass to enjoy it in…. I am sipping some of that stout as I write this blog.

I am sorry to see you go Heroic Aleworks… you were my ‘Nerdvana’… the place I could go a geek out and converse with other nerds and geeks and enjoy some good beer.  Fare thee well.


ORNERY BEER COMPANY & PUBLIC HOUSE

There have been some changes over an Ornery as well recently.  They have come out with a new menu and I will have to say… it is VERY good.  I am a big fan of their Tuna Poke, even though I think the cuts are a little too big… I am still ordering it!  I also recommend the MAPLECHIPOTLE CHOP which comes with some roasted vegetables and some very tasty Gouda cheese grits.  Another dish I recommend is the  JAMBALAYA PASTA which is packed with chicken, shrimp, sausage and pasta.  I am a big guy if you have ever seen me and I cannot eat all of the pasta or the chop and it is just as good the next day.

Beer wise, Ornery has modified their beer club membership… and you get more bang for your buck!!  I even broke down and joined this year!  For the 95$ membership fee you get:
-          A hand thrown ceramic mug to take home.  This mug changes yearly for members so you can start a collection!
  •  A mug club pour of 20oz in a club mug, to designate you an Ornery Club member!
    • At the end of the year you get to keep this mug… that’s right… you wind up with TWO mugs in the Ornery Club.
  • $4.00 off 64oz growler fills… and if you only want to fill a 32oz growler… that is cool too!  $2.00 off that one!
  • Hungry??  You will get 15% off of food for you… AND YOUR WHOLE TABLE… up to 4 guests!  Show me ANY other beer club that does that…. I’ll wait….
  • 10% off any ticketed or special priced events
  • 15% off all merchandise…. Time for me to get a T-Shirt….
  • A FREE dinner on your birthday!!  I know already what I am going to have!
  • A quarterly Mug Club Party for you AND A GUEST!  Appetizers are supplied by Ornery!  The first one this year will be Feb 10 (maybe I will see you there!)

The other major change in the Ornery Club is date of membership.  Previously, membership only ran from February to February.  This really sucked if you wanted to join in like October or November… your could join, but you would pay that 95$ again that coming February.  NOW when you join, your membership will last one year from the day that you join… even if you join in April.  That is a nice plus.


Part II of this update, I will go over Brew Republic, Growling Bear and Water’s End!  Look for it soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or suggestion! Thanks!