Tuesday, January 19, 2021

REVISIT: Eavesdrop Brewery – Yorkshire (Manassas) VA

Back in July of 2018, I did my initial post on Eavesdrop Brewery.  If you go back to my original post you will be able to see my notes on the beer, location and other interesting tidbits.  Some time has passed and there have been some awesome changes at the brewery I thought I would share.

Location - Well, the location is the same, but now it is a lot easier to find it as they have put up new signage making it easier to locate.  On busy days and any events, like their birthday, parking can be tough.  On their birthday in 2020 the parking was crazy.  I wound up going down towards the Virginia Meats location and walked the couple of blocks back to the brewery… which I did not mind.  Helped to get the daily steps in.  😊

Beer – Since my last post on Eavesdrop, their beer choices have grown.  Besides brewing their own beer, they are still collaborating with other breweries and contracting with breweries to brew for them.  The goofy Virginia ABC laws have also allowed them to do more than a lot of the other breweries in the area.  Why is that?  The property Eavesdrop sits on what was once a ‘Pigeon Farmhouse’…. Uhhhh what?? 

Many years ago, there was once a pigeon farm at the location that bred and raised racing pigeons which meant the location was designated as a ‘farm’.  This allows the brewery to be designated as a ‘farmhouse brewery’ and with the ABC rules and licensing, they can serve and sell beer from other producers.  For example, on my visit this time they were selling beers from Hardywood, out of Richmond VA, as well as Rocket Frog Brewery out of Sterling VA and others.  They are also able to sell wine on the premises.  They keep with the farmhouse tradition by growing their own hops and other adjuncts (lemon grass, spruce, etc.) they can use in their beer production. This has also allowed them to open a shop to sell a variety of craft beers and wine from around VA and from other states. 

The Drop, as it is known, opened in December of 2020.  Many beers they have stocked on shelves, so if you like fresh beer, like an IPA, you need to check those ‘canned on’ dates and get them while they are fresh.  For me, any IPA stored warm, needs to be consumed no later than 2-months from canning date.  After that, I will not purchase them… but that is my preference.  You may like 6-month-old IPA’s… ☹.  They do have some beers they keep in their coolers to purchase and can even purchase single cans if you want to try a beer before investing in a 4-pack.  More beer choices are being added on a regular basis.  For me, this is great as it saves me some drive time and traffic to get to my local Total Wine store to buy craft beer.  I love the single beer option as well.  If you get a chance, stop by The Drop and get some beer to go!!

Food – In the beginning, Eavesdrop had rotating food trucks to serve up hungry customers.  They still have the occasional food truck, but now adjoining the brewery is Eugene’s Sausage & Fries whose original location in Haymarket has been churning out awesome sausages, hot dogs and fries.  The only bad thing is that if you are wanting a pizza or something other than sausages…. Outside food is NOT PERMITED.  This kinda sucks if you are wanting something else while visiting the brewery.  However, if you are having a private event in one of their event spaces (which you must reserve) their website does say you can bring in your own food or arrange a food truck.

The Grounds – Since they first opened, they have made improvements to their grounds.  The rooftop is now furnished and serves beer and can be reserved for private events.  Their courtyard now has more seating and fire pits.  With the crazy world of COVID, they have a tent with tables and chairs for customers to socially distance.  They also have plenty of outdoor games to occupy your time.

Overall – Since its opening in 2018, Eavesdrop has come a long way in improving your brewery experience.  The variety of options for beer, wine, seltzer and more makes it a place where you can bring that person who does not care for craft beer but will drink something else.  The grounds are great to hang out on, even on a chilly day or evening, and while I do not really like not being able to bring in a pizza or something, I do like sausages and Eugene’s is a great option for me to have.  Here is to the Eavesdrop family for making some great improvements.  Who knows what’s next… some bowling lanes? Axe throwing? 😊  Whatever it is, I’m sure it will be awesome.

Here are some pictures I recently took as well as a video I downloaded from the Eavedrop web site… I hope they are ok with me sharing it.  Also included is their address and website.  As in previous posts, I don’t link any Facebook pages, and now because of recent censorship of 1st Amendment rights by social media sites, will I not link their Twitter or Instagram accounts.  If you want that info, search for it yourself or check out their website for the info.

Address: 7223 Centreville Rd, Manassas, Virginia 20111

Phone: 703.420.8955

Email: info@eavesdropbrewery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or suggestion! Thanks!